Still Bored
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Still Bored

Chit chat, silliness, griping

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

BOOM... BOOM...

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
OddEvie

OddEvie

Number of posts : 487
Registration date : 2007-10-27

BOOM... BOOM... Empty
PostSubject: BOOM... BOOM...   BOOM... BOOM... Icon_minitimeSun Nov 30, 2008 8:02 pm

And so goes the space shuttle as it re-enters the earth's atmosphere for landing.

The space shuttle Endeavour had to be diverted to California today for it's landing since Florida was stormy. And, by golly, it indeed went right over L.A.

When it does that we get a whopper of a double sonic boom. Shakes the whole house... twice... and LOUDLY!

I was playing a computer game when the booms happened. Made a nice alarm clock for me, telling me to turn on the TV to watch the landing. Laughing

They said on the radio earlier in the day: 1:19 is when the descent should begin. And 1:19 was exactly when the booms happened. Flag3 The gov can do some things right. Wink
Back to top Go down
PeaceMarauder
N-File
PeaceMarauder

Number of posts : 1771
Registration date : 2007-10-28

BOOM... BOOM... Empty
PostSubject: Re: BOOM... BOOM...   BOOM... BOOM... Icon_minitimeSun Nov 30, 2008 9:58 pm

I watched it on my 22" widescreen monitor here Razz I've heard the double booms a couple times when I lived in Ms. Cool stuff Cool
Back to top Go down
OddEvie

OddEvie

BOOM... BOOM... Empty
PostSubject: Re: BOOM... BOOM...   BOOM... BOOM... Icon_minitimeSun Nov 30, 2008 10:29 pm

Being a native of SoCal, where they did all of that test flying for breaking the sound barrier, I grew up hearing sonic booms. When all of that stopped, I kind of missed hearing them.

The first time that the shuttle landed where it went directly over Los Angeles, I was a bit surprised by the HUGE booms. When the shuttle is a little bit over the ocean or the desert, it's not quite so intense. But when it's over the city... whoa!

That big craft displaces a whole lot more air than did those little jet flyers Chuck Yeager and others flew. But after that first time, I knew what to expect.

jump
Back to top Go down
PeaceMarauder
N-File
PeaceMarauder

BOOM... BOOM... Empty
PostSubject: Re: BOOM... BOOM...   BOOM... BOOM... Icon_minitimeSun Nov 30, 2008 11:15 pm

ONe of the landings was a night landing. We got to watch the shuttle fly by in an orange ball at 9000 miles an hour Razz I used my binoculars, you could see the outline of the shuttle in glowing orange, it was cool!

Every time I check the ISS flying by the shuttle is there, either docked or readying to come home. Using binoculars you can see the shuttle flying upsidedown with the bay doors open. That's cool too Cool
Back to top Go down
PeaceMarauder
N-File
PeaceMarauder

BOOM... BOOM... Empty
PostSubject: Re: BOOM... BOOM...   BOOM... BOOM... Icon_minitimeMon Dec 01, 2008 7:21 pm

Back to top Go down
mistressofdoom

Number of posts : 265
Registration date : 2007-10-29

BOOM... BOOM... Empty
PostSubject: Re: BOOM... BOOM...   BOOM... BOOM... Icon_minitimeTue Dec 02, 2008 8:36 pm

I saw that, neck...pretty spectacular. My Australian webmaster sent a pic to me...in the Southern Hemisphere the moon and planets made a happy face, in this hemisphere it was frowning...heh heh.
Back to top Go down
PeaceMarauder
N-File
PeaceMarauder

BOOM... BOOM... Empty
PostSubject: Re: BOOM... BOOM...   BOOM... BOOM... Icon_minitimeTue Dec 02, 2008 9:11 pm

I had to use binoculars to get that pic. That's what the glow ring is, the flash seeping in through the view ring Razz
Back to top Go down
mistressofdoom

BOOM... BOOM... Empty
PostSubject: Re: BOOM... BOOM...   BOOM... BOOM... Icon_minitimeWed Dec 03, 2008 12:58 pm

It's a cool pic.

I'm at 6000 feet, 2.5 hours away from a major city, so it was very bright here. We can still see the Milky Way here some nights.
Back to top Go down
PeaceMarauder
N-File
PeaceMarauder

BOOM... BOOM... Empty
PostSubject: Re: BOOM... BOOM...   BOOM... BOOM... Icon_minitimeWed Dec 03, 2008 4:19 pm

Yeah, I was looking up at the sky and was amazed at the 'high clouds' and then realized it was dust/gas in an arm of the milkyway Laughing
Back to top Go down
mistressofdoom

BOOM... BOOM... Empty
PostSubject: Re: BOOM... BOOM...   BOOM... BOOM... Icon_minitimeThu Dec 04, 2008 3:01 pm

Pretty trippy when you can see it, huh! Smile
Back to top Go down
PeaceMarauder
N-File
PeaceMarauder

BOOM... BOOM... Empty
PostSubject: Re: BOOM... BOOM...   BOOM... BOOM... Icon_minitimeThu Dec 04, 2008 11:13 pm

I could see it on the coast through the city lights.. but that's a military town so we had the up-to-datest lights Laughing
Back to top Go down
OddEvie

OddEvie

BOOM... BOOM... Empty
PostSubject: Re: BOOM... BOOM...   BOOM... BOOM... Icon_minitimeTue Dec 09, 2008 12:13 am

I wish I could see things like that. Crying or Very sad

With all the buildings and lights I'm lucky to see the most prominant stars. I can't see any horizon from where I'm located. Sad

Great pic!
Very Happy
Back to top Go down
PeaceMarauder
N-File
PeaceMarauder

BOOM... BOOM... Empty
PostSubject: Re: BOOM... BOOM...   BOOM... BOOM... Icon_minitimeWed Dec 10, 2008 12:51 am

http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2008/09dec_fullmoon.htm?list46786

Biggest Full Moon of the Year

Dec. 9, 2008: No, you can not see Neil Armstrong's footprint. But go ahead and look: The full Moon of Dec. 12th is the biggest and brightest full Moon of the year.

It's no illusion. Some full Moons are genuinely larger than others and this Friday's is a whopper. Why? The Moon's orbit is an ellipse with one side 50,000 km closer to Earth than the other: diagram. In the language of astronomy, the two extremes are called "apogee" (far away) and "perigee" (nearby). On Dec. 12th, the Moon becomes full a scant 4 hours after reaching perigee, making it 14% bigger and 30% brighter than lesser full Moons we've seen earlier in 2008.

BOOM... BOOM... Ayiomamitis1_strip
Back to top Go down
Starfireone

Number of posts : 384

BOOM... BOOM... Empty
PostSubject: Re: BOOM... BOOM...   BOOM... BOOM... Icon_minitimeFri Dec 12, 2008 2:39 pm

Cool!

Apogee always reminds me of those old-school computer games my brother and I used to download and play. Apogee games had all of my favorites.

I need to get my butt outside and look at the sky. Looks like it might be a clear night.
Back to top Go down
PeaceMarauder
N-File
PeaceMarauder

BOOM... BOOM... Empty
PostSubject: Re: BOOM... BOOM...   BOOM... BOOM... Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2009 12:34 am

Biggest Full Moon of the Year: Take 2

+ Play Audio | + Download Audio | + Email to a friend | + Join mailing list

January 8, 2009: When last month's full Moon rose over Florida, onlooker Raquel Stanton of Cocoa Beach realized that something was up.

"The Moon was stunningly gorgeous--and it looked bigger than usual!" she says. "My whole family noticed and watched in awe."

Like millions of others around the world, she had witnessed the biggest full Moon of 2008--a "perigee Moon," 14% wider and 30% brighter than lesser Moons she had seen before. "I'll never forget it."

Alert: It's about to happen again.

This Saturday night, Jan. 10th, another perigee Moon is coming. It's the biggest full Moon of 2009, almost identical to the one that impressed onlookers in Dec. 2008.

BOOM... BOOM... Ron-Hodges1_strip
Back to top Go down
mistressofdoom

BOOM... BOOM... Empty
PostSubject: Re: BOOM... BOOM...   BOOM... BOOM... Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2009 6:56 pm

Oooh cool, I'll be sure to look if it's clear.
Back to top Go down
PeaceMarauder
N-File
PeaceMarauder

BOOM... BOOM... Empty
PostSubject: Re: BOOM... BOOM...   BOOM... BOOM... Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2009 7:19 pm

Narry a cloud in the sky here... maybe I'll drag out the telescope or binocs
Back to top Go down
PeaceMarauder
N-File
PeaceMarauder

BOOM... BOOM... Empty
PostSubject: Re: BOOM... BOOM...   BOOM... BOOM... Icon_minitimeFri Sep 11, 2009 8:52 pm

Boom Boom Evie?
Back to top Go down
OddEvie

OddEvie

BOOM... BOOM... Empty
PostSubject: Re: BOOM... BOOM...   BOOM... BOOM... Icon_minitimeFri Sep 11, 2009 10:39 pm

Oh yeah! Big boom boom!

I wasn't even aware they were going to land in CA, so I was startled and looked out the window for smoke or something (it IS September 11th, after all). After a few seconds, I remembered that the space shuttle had been up there and coming home; turned on the news to watch the landing.

BOOM! BOOM!

(It's cloudy here; must be really bad in Florida).

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
PeaceMarauder
N-File
PeaceMarauder

BOOM... BOOM... Empty
PostSubject: Re: BOOM... BOOM...   BOOM... BOOM... Icon_minitimeSat Sep 12, 2009 12:06 pm

I forgot to post it on facebook with the link for nasa tv so you can watch online which I usually do. I like watching it on my 22" monitor Razz

It was a rather crisp clear boom boom this time.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

BOOM... BOOM... Empty
PostSubject: Re: BOOM... BOOM...   BOOM... BOOM... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

BOOM... BOOM...
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Still Bored :: Main nonsense :: Chit Chat-
Jump to: