Still Bored
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Still Bored

Chit chat, silliness, griping

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

To cater or not to cater...

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Slopmaster

Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2007-11-05

To cater or not to cater... Empty
PostSubject: To cater or not to cater...   To cater or not to cater... Icon_minitimeMon Nov 19, 2007 9:57 pm

is the question this holiday season. So usually my brother does most of the cooking for our holiday family get togethers and per usual he was going to do it again for thanksgiving. That all changed when he found out our local grocery store caters an entire turkey dinner for $55.00

Now this is a great deal but the question it raises, should we tell the other family members coming to the dinner that it was made by someone else or pass their work off as someone elses.

The other sticky question is that some of my family bought a turkey and brought it over to our place and obviously expects that turkey to be cooked. So given that we are catering this dinner and not telling them what should we do with this other turkey.

Personally I would just donate the thing to some charity (with a tax write-off if possible) but what would happen if we didn't tell them, they found out and how what would I tell them about where their turkey ended up?
Back to top Go down
blondgod

blondgod

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2007-11-05

PostSubject: Re: To cater or not to cater...   To cater or not to cater... Icon_minitimeTue Nov 20, 2007 4:14 am

Everyone should be thankful to be invited. The food is secondary. They all should be happy to enjoy the holiday and generosity. jump
Back to top Go down
Starfireone

Number of posts : 384
Registration date : 2007-10-29

PostSubject: Re: To cater or not to cater...   To cater or not to cater... Icon_minitimeTue Nov 20, 2007 9:56 am

I'd tell them when they mention about how good the food is (someone usually will comment about the food I find), but not mention it until they ask.

I would give the other turkey back (and do that now so they have time to cook it or give it away if they choose) and explain that you've decided to take it EASY and acutally enjoy the holiday rather than spend it working over a hot stove.

If they don't understand then screw it! Smile The point of holidays is to enjoy yourself.

I've started ordering the hard stuff like turkey and just making the homemade things I actually enjoy making, like pie. I hate making turkey but pie is fun.

Time to start living and enjoying life - it's too damn short to live for other's expectations.
Back to top Go down
mistressofdoom

Number of posts : 265

PostSubject: Re: To cater or not to cater...   To cater or not to cater... Icon_minitimeTue Nov 20, 2007 9:57 am

Heyo, Slopmaster!!!

Is the turkey frozen? If yes, you could try the donation route.
Are the relatives all driving to the meal? If yes, you could roast it and everyone can take home leftovers. Or you could cut it up, freeze parts and make meals. I have some good turkey recipes including crockpot ones that are super easy. Do I hear "recipe thread revival" anyone?

Blondgod, Thanksgiving wishes to you. Smile

I will be having Thanksgiving eat-and-run style with family in LA- I'm artist guest of honor at a science fiction convention over the weekend in Los Angeles, so I'm going from the meal to the hotel.

I am staying home for Christmas. Which I really want to do since I've never done it. 1000 mile runarounds are not very good for getting me in the "peace on earth" mood. Last year I got stuck for several days in a small Nevada mining town by a snowstorm on the way back from my sister's house in Idaho.
Back to top Go down
PeaceMarauder
N-File
PeaceMarauder

Number of posts : 1771
Registration date : 2007-10-28

PostSubject: Re: To cater or not to cater...   To cater or not to cater... Icon_minitimeTue Nov 20, 2007 10:40 am

20 pc bucket of KFC geek joker king
Back to top Go down
mistressofdoom

Number of posts : 265

PostSubject: Re: To cater or not to cater...   To cater or not to cater... Icon_minitimeTue Nov 20, 2007 11:58 am

LOL, Neck.

I did the KFC thing the other night. I decided to celebrate finishing all my work for 2007 and I totally indulged. I got a KFC extra crispy meal with biscuit, A&W fried cheese curds, root beer float and then went and got Ben and Jerry's super fudge brownie ice cream for dessert. I woke up several times in the night with indigestion but it was sooooooo worth it.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Surprised Laughing Laughing Surprised Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down
Starfireone

Number of posts : 384

PostSubject: Re: To cater or not to cater...   To cater or not to cater... Icon_minitimeTue Nov 20, 2007 6:09 pm

Wow, that's some meal Smile Now and then it is totally worth it.

I do love those fried cheese curds, mmmm.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: To cater or not to cater...   To cater or not to cater... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

To cater or not to cater...
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Still Bored :: Main nonsense :: Chit Chat-
Jump to: