Still Bored
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Still Bored

Chit chat, silliness, griping

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Recipe Thread

Go down 
+2
mistressofdoom
PeaceMarauder
6 posters
AuthorMessage
PeaceMarauder
N-File
PeaceMarauder

Number of posts : 1771
Registration date : 2007-10-28

Recipe Thread Empty
PostSubject: Recipe Thread   Recipe Thread Icon_minitimeWed Apr 09, 2008 6:48 pm

Simple Pot Roast

Ingredients:

Chuck Roast 4lb +/-
1 lb carrots
8 Red potatoes or about 4 potatoes
Can of onion soup
2 packets beefy onion Lipton soup mix
Garlic powder

Prep:

Peel carrots, cut into 4” sections.
Wash potatoes, cut into large pieces.

Cooking instructions:

In a 4 quart pot add roast, can of onion soup and soup packets. Add almost 3 qts water or until about 1 1/2" from pot lip. Add garlic powder to taste. Add carrots and potatoes, cover and bring to boil on medium low. Stir making sure potatoes and carrots are mostly covered by water. Simmer on low with lid on til potatoes and carrots are soft to the fork poke.

Plate:
Cut off a chunk of meat, slab on your plate. Scoop out carrots and spuds. Munch

Last edited by PeaceMarauder on Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
mistressofdoom

Number of posts : 265
Registration date : 2007-10-29

Recipe Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recipe Thread   Recipe Thread Icon_minitimeFri Apr 11, 2008 8:53 am

Sounds good! I have a couple I want to post but have to make time to type them up. In a painting frenzy right now! Maybe later today.
Back to top Go down
mistressofdoom

Recipe Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recipe Thread   Recipe Thread Icon_minitimeWed Apr 23, 2008 11:32 am

I just got back from a family trip with a 1957 cooking with 7-Up and a 1924 cooking with Jello cookbook. I will post some recipes later from those books. I posted about them on my blog and a museum on the east coast contacted me via email asking for the 1924 book last night.

Laughing Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down
mistressofdoom

Recipe Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recipe Thread   Recipe Thread Icon_minitimeFri May 02, 2008 4:28 pm

I have started playing around with a bread machine a relative gave to me. It's a little bit of a challenge modifying the recipes for high altitude but so far the results have been delicious. Anyone else here bake bread?
Back to top Go down
PeaceMarauder
N-File
PeaceMarauder

Recipe Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recipe Thread   Recipe Thread Icon_minitimeFri May 02, 2008 7:52 pm

I have a bread machine, haven't used it in years though Razz
Back to top Go down
mistressofdoom

Recipe Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recipe Thread   Recipe Thread Icon_minitimeSun May 04, 2008 10:42 pm

I made my second loaf but it didn't turn out as well as the first. i was adjusting for high altitude and over adjusted, so the bread consistency was tough enough that a big bubble formed under the top crust and the loaf wouldn't let go of the kneading paddle, so it had to be pretty much mangled to get it out. next time I won't add so much gluten.

I'm going to wait a week before trying again. I don't want to eat too much bread and regain the weight I've been losing. I don't have a scale so I don't keep track of pounds lost but my formerly tight jeans are now getting baggy. Don't want to reverse that trend even if home baked bread is tempting and delicious.
Back to top Go down
PeaceMarauder
N-File
PeaceMarauder

Recipe Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recipe Thread   Recipe Thread Icon_minitimeMon May 05, 2008 1:17 am

BREAD FOR THE HEAD!!!

affraid 🤡 Laughing
Back to top Go down
OddEvie

OddEvie

Number of posts : 487
Registration date : 2007-10-27

Recipe Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recipe Thread   Recipe Thread Icon_minitimeTue Jun 17, 2008 12:46 am

Okee dokey… I don't cook, so...

I recently purchased a DVD of old Popeye the Sailor cartoons, and they included a couple of recipes… using spinach (Popeye brand… of course… heh!). Don’t know if they’re any good, but here they are:

POPEYE’S PARTY DIP

½ cup plain yogurt
½ cup cottage cheese
1 can (13.5 oz) Popeye Chopped Spinach, well drained
1 green onion, sliced
1 tsp chili powder
¼ tsp dill weed
1 tsp lemon juice

Combine yogurt and cottage cheese, and stir until smooth. Stir in spinach, onion, chili powder, dill weed and lemon juice.
Place in serving dish. Cover and chill until ready to serve with fresh vegetables, crackers or bread sticks.

Servings: Makes 1-½ cups.

POPEYE’S PARTY PIZZAS

2 pkgs refrigerated, ready-to-bake pizza dough
1 tbsp olive oil, divided
1 tbsp pizza seasoning, classic Italian or spicy, divided
1 can (13.5 oz) Popeye Chopped Spinach, well drained
1 yellow pepper, thinly sliced into rings
1 large tomato, diced
1 cup coarsely grated mozzarella cheese
1 cup crumbled Gorgonzola cheese

Preheat oven to 400°F. Unroll each pizza dough on lightly greased pizza pan. Brush each dough with oil and sprinkle seasoning over top. Divide remaining ingredients between both pizzas, and place on dough in order they are listed. Bake 15 to 20 minutes until each crust is golden brown.

Note: For one 12-inch pizza, cut ingredients in half.

Timesaving tip: Pre-baked pizza crusts can be used in place of ready-to-bake pizza dough.

Servings: Makes two 12-inch pizzas.

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
PeaceMarauder
N-File
PeaceMarauder

Recipe Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recipe Thread   Recipe Thread Icon_minitimeTue Jun 17, 2008 7:30 am

Hyu guh guh guh guh guh Razz
Back to top Go down
Slopmaster

Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2007-11-05

Recipe Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recipe Thread   Recipe Thread Icon_minitimeThu Jun 19, 2008 5:32 pm

Toms recipe for roast beast sounds delicious and btw I could post a recipe but its just for pancakes, that would be tasty plagerism.
Back to top Go down
Starfireone

Number of posts : 384

Recipe Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recipe Thread   Recipe Thread Icon_minitimeSun Jun 22, 2008 4:48 pm

mmm that spinach dip sounds good too.

I want the pancake recipe! Smile
Back to top Go down
HPCerri

Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2007-11-13

Recipe Thread Empty
PostSubject: Roasted Vegetable and Pasta bake   Recipe Thread Icon_minitimeSat Oct 11, 2008 11:21 pm

1 lg red bell pepper
1 lg zucchini
1 yellow summer squash
1 yellow onion
1 carton mushrooms
Slice into bite sized pieces and put on a baking pan. season with Salt and pepper. drizzle with olive oil. Roast at 450 degrees for 20 minutes.

In the meantime boil a package of penne pasta for 10 minutes (or half the time pasta takes to cook at your alititude) Drain.

Shred about 1 to 1 and 1/2 cups of fontina cheese, and the same of mozzarella cheese. More or less depending on how cheesy you like it.

butter or grease a large baking pan--like a lasagna pan. In a bowl mix together the veggies, the pasta the cheese and at least 2 cups of your favorite marinara sauce. Add some basil and oregano or italian seasoning.
Add the cheeses. Mix it all well and put in the buttered pan. Sprinkle some shredded parmesan cheese on top. Bake at 450 degrees for another 20 minutes or until golden brown on top.

You can add more or less veggies , cheese and sauce as you like. It's yummy. But it does make a lot. I was handing containers of it out to my sisters. LOL

Smoochies,
Cerri

OOps my bad. This came from Giada DeLaurentis on the food network.
Credit where credit is due. Cept I fiddled with it. Heheheh.
Back to top Go down
PeaceMarauder
N-File
PeaceMarauder

Recipe Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recipe Thread   Recipe Thread Icon_minitimeSun Oct 12, 2008 9:47 am

Wally finally got some corned beef for sandwiches in so I bought 8 packs for Reubens!

Ingredients:

Rye Bread
Sandwich sliced corned beef
sauerkraut
Thousand Island dressing

Prep:

Toast or grill Rye. Toss meat in a pan and heat, place on bread, heat sauerkraut and put on bread. Either coat bread with thousand island or pour on. EAT!!!!!! Laughing
Back to top Go down
mistressofdoom

Recipe Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recipe Thread   Recipe Thread Icon_minitimeMon Oct 13, 2008 9:23 pm

Mmmmm Reubens!

I have been baking all our bread, even the hamburger buns. It tastes great but my loves still don't look totally neat and even.
Back to top Go down
HPCerri

Recipe Thread Empty
PostSubject: MMMMMMMM bread   Recipe Thread Icon_minitimeSun Oct 19, 2008 4:34 pm

But MoD, uneven loaves are called "Artisan Bread" ! LOLOLOL!
You're an artist so it fits. 'Sides, who cares how they look? They get eaten before anyone can see them. I can't make bread cause I eat the whole dang loaf in 2 days. But ooooooooh, fresh bread.

Smoochies,
Cerri
Back to top Go down
mistressofdoom

Recipe Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recipe Thread   Recipe Thread Icon_minitimeThu Oct 23, 2008 8:01 pm

LOL, thanks Cerri, now I know how to snowjob people seeing my crooked bread!

cheers bounce jump cheers

wave2
Back to top Go down
PeaceMarauder
N-File
PeaceMarauder

Recipe Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recipe Thread   Recipe Thread Icon_minitimeThu Nov 20, 2008 9:21 pm

Back to top Go down
PeaceMarauder
N-File
PeaceMarauder

Recipe Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recipe Thread   Recipe Thread Icon_minitimeSat Jan 24, 2009 8:03 pm

Tarragon Chicken
Peace Marauder

INGREDIENTS:

Chicken Breasts
Tarragon
Corn Flour or Fine Cornmeal
Fresh Rosemary
Capers
Butter Oil or such
White Wine
Instructions:

Heat equal parts butter oil and water on medium in a 10 inch sauté pan. Powder chicken in corn flour. In heated sauté pan, place powdered chicken, sprinkle with tarragon, capers and add wine to taste. Toss rosemary in oil/water. Cook til white.

Serve with:

Sauted Broccoli
Sauted Squash and Zucchini
Or all combined
Back to top Go down
PeaceMarauder
N-File
PeaceMarauder

Recipe Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recipe Thread   Recipe Thread Icon_minitimeTue Jun 02, 2009 2:06 pm

BBQ Shrimp
as remembered by Tom Thurber
INGREDIENTS:

20 large shrimp, peeled or 1 lb 48/50’s or bigger
(smaller number), tails on, optional
1/2 cup Worcestershire
1/2 cup orange juice
1 tblsp chopped garlic
1/8 cup chopped chive
1/8 cup olive oil
1 tblsp crushed red pepper
1 tblsp Tony Chachere’s Creole Seasoning
1 tblsp Tabasco

In a 10 inch sauté pan on medium high heat, add oil and garlic.. After roasting garlic add Worcestershire, red pepper and Creole seasoning, bring to a boil. Add OJ and return to boil. Add shrimp and cook for 3 minutes.

Pour whole shebang in a bowl, sprinkle with chives and serve!

Recipe Thread BBQShrimp_0005
Back to top Go down
mistressofdoom

Recipe Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recipe Thread   Recipe Thread Icon_minitimeTue Jun 02, 2009 3:29 pm

Thanks neck!

Would it be good with crusty bread for mopping the sauce?
Back to top Go down
PeaceMarauder
N-File
PeaceMarauder

Recipe Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recipe Thread   Recipe Thread Icon_minitimeTue Jun 02, 2009 4:58 pm

Yes, yes it would Wink
Back to top Go down
mistressofdoom

Recipe Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recipe Thread   Recipe Thread Icon_minitimeFri Jun 12, 2009 4:56 pm

I made the BBQ shrimp, with a few changes because of what I had on hand and it was tasty, a pretty good approximation of what we had in New Orleans considering the shrimp I used had been frozen.
Neck, do you know the story of why this dish is called BBQ? I'm kind of curious about the name since it isn't "BBQ" in the grilling sense.
Back to top Go down
PeaceMarauder
N-File
PeaceMarauder

Recipe Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recipe Thread   Recipe Thread Icon_minitimeFri Jun 12, 2009 5:49 pm

mistressofdoom wrote:
I made the BBQ shrimp, with a few changes because of what I had on hand and it was tasty, a pretty good approximation of what we had in New Orleans considering the shrimp I used had been frozen.
Neck, do you know the story of why this dish is called BBQ? I'm kind of curious about the name since it isn't "BBQ" in the grilling sense.
that slurry you cook it in is the bbq sauce
Back to top Go down
HPCerri

Recipe Thread Empty
PostSubject: Krab Salad   Recipe Thread Icon_minitimeWed Jul 15, 2009 11:27 pm

poop! I typed it all up and the server was too busy. blehh

8 oz cream cheese
1/2 to 1 cup mayo or Miracle whip
Salt and pepper to taste
Garlic, finely chopped or powder, to taste
1 or 2 pkgs Krab, chopped or flaked
chopped celery to taste
chopped scallion to taste
chopped green or red bell pepper to taste (optional)

Cream cream cheese and mayo. Add spices, stir. Stir in Krab and vegetables. Let chill for about an hour.
Serve on crackers, crusty bread, or whatever strikes your fancy or tantalizes your tastebuds.

MMMmThink I may go make some tonight.

Smoochies

Cerri
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Recipe Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Recipe Thread   Recipe Thread Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Recipe Thread
Page 1 of 1