Still Bored
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Still Bored

Chit chat, silliness, griping

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Green Comet

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
PeaceMarauder
N-File
PeaceMarauder

Number of posts : 1771
Registration date : 2007-10-28

Green Comet Empty
PostSubject: Green Comet   Green Comet Icon_minitimeThu Feb 05, 2009 8:41 pm

http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2009/04feb_greencomet.htm?list46786

The comet makes its closest approach to Earth (0.41 AU) on Feb. 24, 2009. Current estimates peg the maximum brightness at 4th or 5th magnitude, which means dark country skies would be required to see it. No one can say for sure, however, because this appears to be Lulin's first visit to the inner solar system and its first exposure to intense sunlight. Surprises are possible.

Green Comet Jack-Newton1_strip

"My retired eyes still cannot see the brightening comet," says Newton, "but my 14-inch telescope picked it up quite nicely on Feb. 1st." said Jack Newton.
Back to top Go down
mistressofdoom

Number of posts : 265
Registration date : 2007-10-29

Green Comet Empty
PostSubject: Re: Green Comet   Green Comet Icon_minitimeSun Feb 15, 2009 4:52 pm

Hopefully it won't be overcast here on the 24th. I don't have to go very far out of town to see total darkness, plus we're at 6000 feet which means pretty clear air for viewing space stuff.
Back to top Go down
PeaceMarauder
N-File
PeaceMarauder

Green Comet Empty
PostSubject: Re: Green Comet   Green Comet Icon_minitimeThu Feb 19, 2009 3:03 am

Editor's note: To find Saturn on Feb. 24th, look southwest before sunrise. The planet is easy to see shining like a golden first-magnitude star in the constellation Leo: sky map. By cosmic coincidence, Feb. 24th is also the date Comet Lulin makes its closest approach to Earth--and the comet is right beside Saturn! Using a small telescope you can catch a comet, a ringed planet and a quadruple transit; it's a nice way to begin the day.

http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2009/19feb_quadrupletransit.htm?list46786
Back to top Go down
PeaceMarauder
N-File
PeaceMarauder

Green Comet Empty
PostSubject: Re: Green Comet   Green Comet Icon_minitimeTue Feb 24, 2009 7:30 pm

btw... has anyone noticed the axis shift towards spring? Venus is now 20° up from the winter position.

SPRING IS COMING!!!!! RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!!!!!! Laughing
Back to top Go down
OddEvie

OddEvie

Number of posts : 487
Registration date : 2007-10-27

Green Comet Empty
PostSubject: Re: Green Comet   Green Comet Icon_minitimeTue Feb 24, 2009 11:34 pm

affraid S P R I N G affraid

lol!

Did anyone see this thing? I have no view in my city dwelling. Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
PeaceMarauder
N-File
PeaceMarauder

Green Comet Empty
PostSubject: Re: Green Comet   Green Comet Icon_minitimeWed Feb 25, 2009 2:14 pm

oh yeah... that's why I slept so late.. I was trying to stay up.. but it was cloudy Laughing
Back to top Go down
Starfireone

Number of posts : 384

Green Comet Empty
PostSubject: Re: Green Comet   Green Comet Icon_minitimeWed Feb 25, 2009 11:53 pm

I forgot but probably couldn't have seen it. It was snowing here.

Spring? No sign of it. Snow and ice everywhere here.
Back to top Go down
PeaceMarauder
N-File
PeaceMarauder

Green Comet Empty
PostSubject: Re: Green Comet   Green Comet Icon_minitimeThu Feb 26, 2009 1:43 am

Raining tonite....

SF.. but you live in the frozen tundra! What do you expect? Laughing
Back to top Go down
PeaceMarauder
N-File
PeaceMarauder

Green Comet Empty
PostSubject: Re: Green Comet   Green Comet Icon_minitimeThu Feb 26, 2009 5:53 pm

http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2009/26feb_prettysky.htm?list46786

On Friday evening, Feb. 27th, the 10% crescent Moon will glide by Venus, forming a gorgeous and mesmerizing pair of lights in the sunset sky. Moon-Venus conjunctions are not unusual, but this conjunction has some special qualities:

(1) Venus is at maximum brightness: magnitude -4.6. The planet is twenty times brighter than Sirius, the brightest star in the sky. It is so luminous that it can actually shine through thin clouds and cast subtle shadows on the ground.
Back to top Go down
mistressofdoom

Number of posts : 265

Green Comet Empty
PostSubject: Re: Green Comet   Green Comet Icon_minitimeSun Mar 01, 2009 5:15 pm

I saw the moon-venus conjunction. Pretty cool!
Back to top Go down
PeaceMarauder
N-File
PeaceMarauder

Green Comet Empty
PostSubject: Re: Green Comet   Green Comet Icon_minitimeFri Apr 17, 2009 2:09 pm

http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2009/17apr_lyrids.htm?list46786

Venus Disappears during Meteor Shower

Most observers will see only a close gathering of the two bodies. People in western parts of North America are favored with more--a full-blown eclipse or "occultation." Around 5 a.m. Pacific Daylight Time, Venus will disappear behind the mountainous rim of the Moon and reappear 60 to 90 minutes later. Click on the map for local details:

Green Comet Skyandtelescope_strip
Back to top Go down
PeaceMarauder
N-File
PeaceMarauder

Green Comet Empty
PostSubject: Re: Green Comet   Green Comet Icon_minitimeFri Apr 24, 2009 3:23 pm

http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2009/24apr_eveningsky.htm?list46786

April 24, 2009: If you're reading this at the end of the day on Sunday, April 26th—stop! You're supposed to be outside looking at the sunset.

On Sunday evening, the crescent Moon, Mercury and the Pleiades star cluster will gather for a three-way conjunction in the western sky. It's a must-see event.

The show begins before the sky fades to black. The Moon pops out of the twilight first, an exquisitely slender 5% crescent surrounded by cobalt blue. The horns of the crescent cradle a softly-glowing image of the full Moon. That is Earthshine—dark lunar terrain illuminated by sunlight reflected from Earth. If the show ended then and there, you'd be satisfied.
Back to top Go down
PeaceMarauder
N-File
PeaceMarauder

Green Comet Empty
PostSubject: Re: Green Comet   Green Comet Icon_minitimeMon Jul 20, 2009 11:57 pm

http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2009/20jul_longestsolareclipse.htm?list46786

Longest Solar Eclipse of the 21st Century

July 20, 2009: One one-thousand, 2 one-thousand, 3 one-thousand, 4 one-thousand...

Continue counting and don't stop until you reach 399 one-thousand.

Did that feel like a long time? Six minutes and 39 seconds to be exact. That's the duration of this week's total solar eclipse--the longest of the 21st century.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Green Comet Empty
PostSubject: Re: Green Comet   Green Comet Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Green Comet
Page 1 of 1