Still Bored
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Still Bored

Chit chat, silliness, griping

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The WGA Strikes Back!

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Slopmaster

Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2007-11-05

The WGA Strikes Back! Empty
PostSubject: The WGA Strikes Back!   The WGA Strikes Back! Icon_minitimeMon Nov 05, 2007 8:57 pm

So its official the Writers Guild Of America went on strike this morning and for now the only shows that will not be on are late night variety shows such as The Daily Show, The Colbert Report, Conan O'Brien, ect... and whats new now will only last so long before the networks are forced into more re-runs and movies.

Now ironically enough its not the idea of old movies and re-runs that upset me as a Television viewer, its the lack of vision of those in charge of these entertainment guilds.

Basically the WGA is saying they aren't getting enough money from DVD sales, which is probably the simplistic explanation of why they are strikeing but it apt enough.

I remember way back in 1998 when I was just a wee lad of 19 years reading about this new thing call "DVD" and being imediately in love with the idea and I knew this thing was going to replace VHS in every where but I just didn't realize how fast. The point is that I as someone who lacks alot of sense realized this was going to be a big thing but the people make the stuff that goes on the disks apparently didn't.

So I guess I don't understand why when there is the first glimpse of a new entertainment medium someone in one of these entertainment guilds doesn't say we better keep an eye on this trend, get in early IE get our contracts re-negotiated before it becomes to entrenched.

Its just not DVDs, its file shareing, MP3's, ect... it seems like the entertainment industry is so slow to adapt to new technology to ensure they get a fair share of the profits and thats odd considering all the unbridled greed most of them show on a regular basis.

In the end its just so confuseing why none of them can't see another oppurtunity to make money. Oh well, maybe someday they will but obviously today wasn't it.

-SM
Back to top Go down
PeaceMarauder
N-File
PeaceMarauder

Number of posts : 1771
Registration date : 2007-10-28

PostSubject: Re: The WGA Strikes Back!   The WGA Strikes Back! Icon_minitimeMon Nov 05, 2007 9:02 pm

and my first geek thought was WGA... Windows Genuine Advantage Laughing

I remember being blah about the last strike 25 yrs ago or so... I'm just not caring. I just don't care for TV much.
Back to top Go down
Slopmaster

Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2007-11-05

PostSubject: Re: The WGA Strikes Back!   The WGA Strikes Back! Icon_minitimeMon Nov 05, 2007 9:07 pm

PeaceMarauder wrote:

I remember being blah about the last strike 25 yrs ago or so... I'm just not caring. I just don't care for TV much.

I wouldn't say I watch alot of "Television" but I do have a list of favorites that I would sorely miss if they were no longer arround. However, I do read more now that I used to.

A few months ago I finished reading the 9th Dresden Files novel and now I am on the 5th novel of Isaac Asimov's Foundation series. Both of which are very entertaining.

-SM
Back to top Go down
OddEvie

OddEvie

Number of posts : 487
Registration date : 2007-10-27

PostSubject: Re: The WGA Strikes Back!   The WGA Strikes Back! Icon_minitimeTue Nov 06, 2007 3:14 am

PeaceMarauder wrote:

And here I was first thinking Weenie Gawd Association. Razz
Back to top Go down
Starfireone

Number of posts : 384
Registration date : 2007-10-29

PostSubject: Re: The WGA Strikes Back!   The WGA Strikes Back! Icon_minitimeTue Nov 06, 2007 9:07 am

hah!

Glad I wasn't the only one thinking WeenieGawd. I seriously thought this thread had something to do with him.

Wonder if we can tempt him to join us here. Where's that vienna sausage again? Someone crumble up some more and see if he will follow the trail here too

I spend much more time on my computer than watching tv. I watch Kitchen Nightmares and that's about it. I recently got some Lexx episodes and Forever Knight on DVD and that's what I watch usually if I have time.

Yes, I'm stuck in the past. It's nice there. There are hot vampire detectives and dead guy space travelers - what more can I ask for ?
Back to top Go down
PeaceMarauder
N-File
PeaceMarauder

Number of posts : 1771
Registration date : 2007-10-28

PostSubject: Re: The WGA Strikes Back!   The WGA Strikes Back! Icon_minitimeTue Nov 06, 2007 11:37 am

As much as I like The Shield and Nip/Tuck, I"ve missed most of the series cause I just don't care... one day I'll catch all th eps Razz
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The WGA Strikes Back!   The WGA Strikes Back! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The WGA Strikes Back!
Page 1 of 1